Requirements for a Chapter of Phi Sigma Tau
Phi Sigma Tau operates under the umbrella of the Association of College Honor Societies (ACHS) and is a member in full standing of that organization. ACHS has several requirements for member organizations, and schools petitioning for a chapter must meet all the requirements of both Phi Sigma Tau and ACHS.
We follow the guidelines listed below.
- Phi Sigma Tau discourages applications from schools that are on the AAUP list of Censured Administrations.
- A charter can be granted only to schools accredited by one of the major regional accrediting bodies.
- A charter can be granted only to schools with baccalaureate (or equivalent) programs.
- A charter can be granted only to schools with a major (or its equivalent) in philosophy. A major should normally include a course in logic, a course in value theory, and two courses in the history of philosophy.
- A charter can be granted only when the school has the resources as well as sufficient faculty with terminal doctorates in philosophy to support a major in philosophy.
- A charter can be granted only when there is departmental and administrative support for the petition.
- A group consisting of at least five people must present the petition to the Executive Secretary.
Further Information: If you have questions concerning the process, or to obtain the petition form, please contact the Executive Secretary for further details.